The other me

The other me

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The freedom of movement...each heartbeat booming.


Okay dance fever hits again! :P Just when I was trying to catch a wink for practice tomorrow. Where is a stage when you need one? :P

My entire passion for dance culminates to these moments, where i feel dizzy with something shaping up in my mind. The feeling of being trapped within your walls, while your mind and soul enjoy the freedom of infinite space. You are helpless, you try and enjoy the process that goes on in your head. But it is never enough. Not when you don't get up and move, move as if your life depends on it. Stand, jump, crouch, turn, twist do something. But alas. I wish to break free now. i want to feel my heartbeat echo inside me. I want to land the step in my mind and when i try i want to fail, i want to get hurt, because it hurts so good. I want to get up and try again. All because I want to dance now and I can't.

But it is not enough to just dance. You want to create magic. Franco Dragone from Cirque du Soleil says "If you don't find one moment of magic in a rehearsal, you have lost an entire day". But the magic doesn't have to be the steps or technique. It could be from a the tiniest events around that could spark something genius. It could be a tired dancer fighting fatigue to land the next step. It could be a perfect dancer giving up. It could be the fear of being lifted. It could be the pain of lifting. It could be stepping up. It could be walking away. All you need is the eye to capture movement from unusual and inexplicable sources. I remember thinking hard about a step which i couldn't quite picture. But then i saw a centipede crawling away. I observed. The fluidity of the motion, they sync of thousand legs, the wave travelling through the body. An idea erupted. and when it does there is again....the rush.

The very nature of progression is to evolve, sometimes to adapt, sometime to overcome. But always always to move forward. Stagnation is indeed the death of an artist. I seek inspiration to create ideas, project images, tell stories and build castles but all through the beauty of dance. I am in as much in love with my ugliness as with my beauty. May I be strong enough to find inspiration even from what i disgust, even from a corroding, dirty, gut churning reality. May I be strong enough to reject the obvious. May I be strong enough to surrender. May I be weak enough to chase victory. Let me not move if each bone, muscle and sinew doesn't force me to move. And let me fall down content, when the time is up.



"With each idea you place on the floor, walk away moved, changed and transformed, but never the same, never conform."

ciao!

1 comment:

  1. It brings out your passion for dance in words and its a treat to the eyes to read..specially if the reader is your dancer and has experienced a few if not all of the situations described by you above.A very well wriiten blog.

    ReplyDelete